fifth map

special thanks to n.f.

(read the assignment)

RSS feed | Trackback URI

18 Comments »

Comment by paradis
2006-08-10 16:48:57

woa. i felt like something REALLY bad was going to happen in that bathroom. super suspenseful and creepy and then in the end kinda sweet… the guy that hides behind the camera. i love it.

Comment by charlene
2006-08-10 17:10:36

dood. I know. I know.

Comment by missbhavens
2006-08-10 17:33:34

At first I thought “Wow! Daniel has finally faced his deathly fear of asking to borrow a stranger woman’s lipstick!” Then I thought “no…that can’t be right…”

You had me in suspense right up until the end.

Why, Daniel! You don’t have to be scared of little ‘ol us!

Or…perhaps you do…

Two more maps to go. Or is it three?

Comment by Donna
2006-08-10 17:53:02

You = The one from whom the lipstick was stole?
You = Me. Us. We. The world?
You = The face in the mirror?

None of the above? All of the above?

For me, Dan, this was the most thoughtful and poignant piece I’ve seen. Beautifully done and as thought provoking as anything I’ve ever pondered.

Comment by Anne Walk
2006-08-10 17:56:28

Beautiful, Daniel. Job well done!

I can think of so many ways to interpret it and they are all so very relevant.

Comment by Devlon
2006-08-10 17:57:18

awesome, I didn’t think you had a chance with the requirements on this one.

Comment by rob parrish
2006-08-10 18:14:11

I had laugh, and I did. I must say I was hoping you were going to re-do that lipstick scene for Lynch’s Wild at Heart, but I like what you did better.

In solidarity, I made my own movie based on assignment 5. Come on everybody, there are two more assignments, lets join Daniel for the home stretch.

Check out FEAR: for daniel

Comment by rob parrish
2006-08-10 18:15:14

That tag didn’t work . . . here’s the link —

Comment by David
2006-08-10 18:21:46

😉

Comment by Kevin Hampson
2006-08-10 21:12:00

You\’re aesthetic never ceases to amaze me. Great stuff. I\’m loving the different directions you\’re taking. I\’ll miss your energy as a houseguest.

Comment by Gregory
2006-08-10 22:52:16

This freaked me out Daniel – then I laughed nervously at the end. Why? I’m traveling from SJC to PDX tomorrow. My wife and daughter are flying from Bozeman to Sea-Tac then meeting at me. Tonight before checking my flight I had an email about heightened security – even cosmetics are being inspected at airport checkpoints! 19 terrorists were captured today planning to blow up flights. I don’t know if you saw all this news before doing your video, but it was hauntingly prescient.

Comment by Nathan Miller
2006-08-11 03:16:18

Well done, the element of storytelling has really come into play, as I am sure you are more than aware…
waiting behind my computer…what will he do next, what is to come??

Comment by Raymond
2006-08-11 06:23:00

Very well executed, loved the sounds of the train, the toilet, the space. No words from you. Just to the point, showing us, with lipstick, red, energy, that it is myself/ourselves that you are afraid of. No further clue given. Afraid of me, why, me as a viewer. Afraid that we will see you, cry out for more blood on the floor, we want you to dance on your hands, eat brains, make us laugh goddamnit!, what is next? The relationship between yourself and the audience is interesting, and there comes flares of passion sometimes, like in the “hell” piece from videoblogging week. But we don’t take notice, we just go on being passive or active voyeurs. What would make you not fear us? What would make us not fear each other? I guess that is one of the key questions here, but I guess that is something we will work on with time.

Comment by jay dedman
2006-08-12 01:34:25

i thought you were going to put on lipstick and skip down the aisles singing showtunes. maybe this was just my fear.

Comment by Shari
2006-08-12 11:21:05

After a couple of very long work days, I came home and watched this piece. My heart was racing. Definitely felt this growing fear. I had no idea what was about to happen, but you certainly managed to scare me. It seemed to couple in with the horrific news this week. Going to watch the sixth map now…

Comment by ryanne
2006-08-12 11:44:17

very nice
i love the no cuts, straight shot.

Comment by Anthony
2006-08-15 00:24:06

If we are your fear….you face it us well. You stand up to us each time you create each time you share. And for that I am thankful. Keep on facing those fears. I see it making you nothing but stronger.

Comment by kath
2006-09-16 09:55:32

wow. I thought this one was completely different to the others in the series. they could be standalone videos ie you could watch them and think they’re beautiful without reading the assignment, but get more meaning from them once you know what the assignment was. but this one, I watched prior to reading the assignment and it was suspenseful! interesting to see people’s reactions to a camera walking down the train carriage, then into the bathroom and I was thinking oh no he’s not going to film that (maybe that’s my fear). then seeing the lipstick and finally the word and I was thinking what was that all about. then I read the assignment and thought, oh no, why are you fearful of us. we (speaking for myself at least) love your work so there’s nothing to be afraid of!!

very clever video. I like how your movies make me think also

Name (required)
E-mail (required - never shown publicly)
URI
Your Comment (smaller size | larger size)